Monday, October 7, 2013

Speedy Rewards - Turning freebies into food

I'm a regular customer of Speedway gas stations and this month I've decided to use that to my humanitarian advantage.  I will go out of my way to hit up a Speedway, sometimes passing 20 other stations, and end up there almost every day.  Because of that I am frequently collecting freebies and other rewards.  This month I will be donating the equivalent of the freebies I collect to Feed My Starving Children (www.fmsc.org).  I have no set goal but every three or four days I earn a free coffee ($1.49) which equals almost seven meals... So by the end of the month that should add up to a pretty decent haul.  This is only the 7th day of this mission and already two out of the ordinary things have happened to help me along.  I'm not saying there's some divine intervention but you let me know what you think after reading what's next.  On the second day I was in line behind a guy buying coffee.  When he started to walk away the cashier told him to come back because he had a free drink ticket.  He pointed at me and said "Give it to that guy."  Ching, ching - 7 meals.  On Saturday, day 5, I was at another location.  After I checked out, the guy behind me asked to see my rewards card.  He then had them scan it while ringing up his $40 worth of stuff.  He handed the card back to me and then said "Thank you."  Speedy cards do not discount your items the same way a Kroger card would, so he was just doing this so I could collect the points.  I thought about how amazing it was that these two guys, who clearly had no idea what I'm doing, just so happened to make a nice gesture to me and by doing so unknowingly just put food in the mouths of starving kids around the world.  Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment